Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Should the piston be at tdc or before tdc on no1 cylinder on

should the piston be at tdc or before tdc on no1 cylinder on a jaguar xf 2.7 diesel engine.
Category: Jaguar
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
hello this information should be what you need
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry not what I need to to know that is not the answer to my question i already know all that what is printed.

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello Okthere's a crank timing pin that you're meant to fit and this locks the crank at TDC no. 1 cylinder
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi matt i know and used the the pin tool there is 1 hole in the flywheel which it fits with the heads off and the tool in place no 1 piston is in the atdc position that is what my concern is about since your last reply I have spoken to my local jag specialist garage they seem to think that were ever the crank in locked in is where the piston would be also being a high compression engine it is feesable that the compression stroke starts atdc there saying not mine sounds feesable do you think
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello the reason for setting the piston at TDC is that its easily found when building an engine this then provide a repeatable reference to set your cams up with so your compression stroke will have begun about halfway down the bore as soon as the inlet valve has closed and the piston is on its way back upcan I ask what your concern is with using the timing pin or having the piston at TDC when setting the cams? Are you worried about clashing the valves with the piston?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi matt i know what you are saying I have been working on cars for over 40 years mostly petrol this is the first real diesel engine I've worked on you still haven't answered my question with the tool in place no 1 piston is at atdc is that correct should it be like that cheers nigel
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello Nigel yes the timing position is correct with the pin in place, as the flywheel is dowelled to the crank and can't be in the wrong position unless you have a complete set of rogue parts however as this pin is used on 1st build of the engine you can safely assume by fitting the pin and following the procedure then you will have cams in the correct place
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
hello Nigel Do you still need help?Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpful please rate my answer.
Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience: BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years