Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have 2000 cc X Type 2009. When car is cold, when I turn the

Customer Question

I have 2000 cc X Type 2009. When car is cold, when I turn the ignition on, the car starts immediately,but the engine is runs rough and hunts up and down. Also, very noisy up and down surging and rotation type noise-Ie. A mechanical noise. Quite scary. If the car,automatic,is stationary and in Drive gear, the car surges forward and I have to apply the brake which makes the car surge back and to. I usually put in neutral at this point. After doing a couple of miles the car is fine and runs very well. I have new diesel heat pins fitted and a new EGR valve was fitted 4 Months ago. There are no fault codes showing up in the car. I have been to a couple of garages and they do not know what the problem is. I would like to know what the problem is and to know if I should or not use the car.,since it runs ok after a couple of miles. Thanks. Charlie
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello I'd say that this may be oil being carried over into the inlet and so providing the engine with extra fuel as it will happily run off engine oil The first thing I'd check is the crankcase pressure relief valve (PCV) these are sprung loaded and are only meant to 'burp' excess pressure every now and then. The exiting gas is piped back to the inlet , however should the valve stick open then the engine tends to suck the air out of the crankcase all the time and this carries oil over with it. If you remove the air intake pipe and look inside where the crankcase breather is plumbed in you may find evidence of oil. If you do find oil replace the valve. Also check inside the intake just after the turbo for any signs of oil as this would be an indication that the turbo oil seal is starting to fail and a replacement / rebuilt turbo may well be required. Have a feel of the turbine wheel - there should be no play radially at all - but a little bit of axial / end to end float is normal
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpful please rate my answer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Matt. Took your opinion to local garage who contacted main Jag dealership. They didn't think much of your opinion. They said this is a common fault with Jags. The solution is to reset the software,according to them. Because it is Christmas time,I haven't been able to have the work done as yet. Regards.Charlie.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello Charlie understoodhowever a software reset stands a chance of only being a temporary solution as if the problem is the ECU making adjustments until it gets way out from where it should runif the software is an update / new code then thats a different matter so its well worth asking a few questions to avoid having to return to the garage in a few weeks
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
do you still need help?