Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have 54 plate S type Jaguar 2.7 diesel Sport. A few weeks

Customer Question

I have 54 plate S type Jaguar 2.7 diesel Sport. A few weeks ago I had the rear brake pads and discs replaced and the braking system was working perfectly, however, I returned from holiday after two weeks and found that when I pressed the brake pedal it would not return immediately; after a a few miles the problem got progressively worse and I found that I had to manually lift the pedal with my toe to release the brakes - as soon as I let go, the pedal dropped and the brakes came on.
The master cylinder (genuine Jaguar part) was fitted less than two years ago so it seems unlikely that it is faulty. Help please!
Category: Jaguar
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello if you haven't already then I'd bleed the brakes on all 4 corners and also check the brake discs for run out (see diagram) and check that the return spring on the pedal isn't broken, or the pedal hasn't broken in some way It could be a flexible brake line is ballooning under pressure, this can't always be seen from the outside so to test this use a hose clamp on each line in turn to close off then lines one at time . Push the pedal in between and see if you can feel any difference as each line is closed off. if this doesn't help then its possible that you need to run the ABS pump to move any trapped air insidethe dealer method is to use the diagnostic tool to cycle the ABS during bleeding however I've had good results buy just taking the car for short drive and stamping on the pedal at low speed to lock the brakes and trigger the ABSand then re-bleed