Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a 15 year old Jaguar S-Type 3.0 Ltr. V6 manual (bought

I have a 15 year old Jaguar S-Type 3.0 Ltr. V6 manual (bought about 2 months ago, now 96000 miles). In the last week or so, the hazard warning lights have started to switch on automatically when driving. I can usually switch them off using the button on the dashboard, but sometimes I have to press the switch a number of times before they turn off. Last night I had to drive home holding the switch down because they came on again within a few seconds of releasing the switch. This was after about 20 miles into my normal 30 mile commute.
Only seems to happen at night (when headlights are on), and usually (except last night)seems to happen when the engine is hot and after I may have stopped to do a bit of shopping on the way home. If I switch them off after I get home, they seem to come on again after about ten minutes then usually turn themselves off again after about ten minutes of flashing. Other times I have to go out to the car and turn them off again manually.
Any ideas you have about how I can fix this would be gratefully appreciated.
David
Category: Jaguar
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Matt,
What further info did you need?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is anyone dealing with this question? It's been two days and no response.
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hello David,
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Shantal,
I'm still having the problem, so would still appreciate your help. I have searched the internet and all I can find out is that 'this is a fairly common problem for mid-life S Types' - but no suggestions on the cause or how to fix it !!!
Many thanks,
David
Hello David,
Thank you for getting back to me. We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
However, should you wish to close your question and reverse your charges at any time please let me know.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
This may sound odd but check the fasteners that attach the switch pack to the center console frame. You will need to remove the upholstered outer console trim to do this
as pver tightening of the screws can cause the outer portion of the switch pack or switch bezel to stick as it heats up
so back off the screws slightly and try applying a little silicone lubrication around the edge of the switches too
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you
Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience: BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Matt,
Thanks for your help with this. Actually removal of the switch pack was not as you described (it just lifted out of the centre console and there were no screws, it was clipped together - maybe your description is for later S Type models), but you were right - the problem was that the switch was sticking between the on and off position so hence the hazards coming on intermittently. So I loosened it up and carefully applied some WD40 and it's now fine. I'll close this question.