Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a 2,1 petrol Xtype 2002 i have changed fuel pump spark

Customer Question

i have a 2,1 petrol Xtype 2002 i have changed fuel pump spark plugs fuel filter and when i put my foot down the power goes and drops to 50 miles an hour any idea what might be wrong its done 91,000
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello this sounds like a lack of fuel and could be a lack of fuel pressure from the electrical pump at the tank. If the connections to the pump are corroded or damaged then the pump could stop at any time or could not be running at full speed. Check that its relay switches in and out and the relay contacts are clean and bright – replace the relay if in any doubt and do the same for the fuse,Ideally measure the pressure at the injector rail and if this is low check the pump as described and also consider changing the fuel filter as if this partially blocked this too will reduce pressure.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hido you still need help?Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you