Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

My 3litre s type auto rolls from side to side at 55 mph plus

Customer Question

my 3litre s type auto rolls from side to side at 55 mph plus the car has been thoroughly checked and every thing was good no ware and tare, tyre pressures correct tyres have 5mm ware still left.
it first happened on a motorway and I thought it was the heavy lorry ridges in the inside lane but it happens in the other lanes and and newly laid roads that are very flat.
Category: Jaguar
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have also had new discs, brake linings and all wheel bearings replaced recently.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
My Jaguar mech who has road tested this car said he agreed with me but in his description he said that it felt like the rear end was trying to steer the car and thought that the swaying came from the rear end but he could not explain it
Expert:  Matt replied 9 months ago.
Hello I'd check for the following: 1st take the car to a place that does 4 wheel suspension alignment, most places use the back wheels as a datum and assume that they are perfectly straight and true. Often this is not the case and many modern cars are now adjustable at the rear as well as the front.A 4 wheel alignment measures all four wheels independently and each is set -up without referring to each other.if ok then it could be a tyre defect - any cracks or bulges on the side-wall of the tyre (inside and outside) these will throw the tyre out of shape and produce vibration - take a good look over the tyre sidewalls and bear in mind that anything that looks suspect when static will probably be ballooning out and far worse at speed so if any doubt then replace the tyre. Also check if the tyres have been fitted the right way round as some types are directional One other thing to check for which isn't covered by a balance check is out of round or bent wheels, if you use a dial gauge on the axle to measure the run out on the wheel rim this will ensure that the wheels are round and true Worn suspension joints - jack the car up so the wheel is off the ground (you’ll need to do this for all 4 corners) and shake the tyre from top to bottom and from side to side (with someone holding the steering wheel on the front) there should be no play in either direction. Any play in 1 direction will usually require a joint to be replaced, if there’s play in both directions then the wheel bearing may be at fault. If theres play only up and down its the strut top mount - to find this one you have to shake the suspension strut it self up and down with the wheel off the ground - so you may need to remove the wheel to check this one.Now with the car jacked up on that side with the wheel about 2 inches off the ground use a steel bar under the wheel and lever the wheel up and down slightly, you should be able to look at the end of the axle and see if the suspension arm is moving up and down separately to the axle.If so replace the bush To feel if there's a worn strut top bearing then lightly hold the spring by hand and have your assistant move the steering from left to right with the wheel on the ground - a worn bearing will feel 'notchy' through the spring. The wheel needs to be on the ground for the test to load up the bearing
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Dear Matt
All these have been tried but I have had a word with my mechanic and have arranged for him to recheck this coming Thursday.
The tyres are OK but he says that he has two good wheels, same as mine, and will exchange them and let me take it for a motorway run.
So after this I will contact you again and hopefully give you a 5 star rating.
Kind Regards
Graham Ashton
Expert:  Matt replied 9 months ago.
understood good luck
Expert:  Matt replied 9 months ago.
Hido you still need help?Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you