Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Jag X Type 2004 just cleaned the MAF sencer. Used Autelo Auto

Customer Question

Jag X Type 2004 just cleaned the MAF sencer. Used Autelo Auto link AL319 to cancel the dash fault light. Cleared the codes. Now will not start. Make loud click clunks when turn the ignition key. Think it must be to do with the diagnostic codes. Disconnected the battery to try to reset codes made no difference. Battery OK starter OK????????
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Matt replied 9 months ago.
Hello If the car's not cranking then first check it can turned over by hand so double checking for any mechanical issues If OK then check that the main battery cables are on tight and the terminals are clean and bright. Do the same for the engine / gearbox earth strap.Then follow the main positive lead back to the engine and down to the starter motor, and check the connection at this end as well.There should also be a small wire to the motor which should have 12V when you're turning the ignition switch to crank. If the 12V isn't there, check back along this wire for damage to the insulation or corroded connections This 12V feed comes directly from the ignition switch so this may be faulty and need replacing Check the resistance of the main positive lead that runs down to the motor as anything more than a few ohms and it should be replacedDon't forget to try a jump start from another car / battery as its possible the battery is poor, if you have a voltmeter a healthy battery should read 12.7+V also try substituting the battery for another as I've known a very flat battery to drag down the system voltage too far even with jump cablesone other thing to consider is that the immobiliser is faulty and preventing the starter from being enabled - however if the dash / ignition lights are on then this usually means that its offIf this is all OK then its possible the car needs a new starter motor
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Sorry Matt all above has been checked already so no help there.
feel sure the issue is in the code reader and wrong diagnostic info can it all be reset to factory or is there some other test
Expert:  Matt replied 9 months ago.
Hello I'd agree that this could be an immobilser issue but to get the rapid clicking noise then this indicates a low battery voltage or a poor battery connection?as this noise is the starter solenoid thumping in and out as there's insufficient current to hold it in so if you're sure that the battery is charged ( does it have this issue with some jump leads connected to another car?) then I'd next check the state of the high power fuses in the engine bay fusebox check each one for cracks and corrosion and replace / clean as required