Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years

Thinking of buying a 1998 xjr, apparently iron bore engine.

Customer Question

Hi, thinking of buying a 1998 xjr, apparently iron bore engine. Is this car ok?
Category: Jaguar
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ignore request for live call. Cheers
Expert:  Matt replied 8 months ago.
Hello If the car has had a replacement block then yes it should be on an iron liner which was finethere's a few otherthings to watch out for:Painted front bumper easy to scratch.No means of checking 5-speed ZF autobox oil level or refilling it. Jaguar says 'sealed for life', but no oil changes could mean a 'life' of just 10 years.No manual option.Whine of Eaton supercharger of XJR8 can become irritating, but you only hear it when you boot the car heavily.Nickasil bore liner sulphur erosion problem with pre-2000 model year Jaguar V8s. 1996s, 1997s, 1998s and 1999s could all have residual damage from before mid 2000 when sulphur content of UK petrol was reduced. (Definitely OK from from September 2000 build, or if fitted with a post Sept 2000 build replacement engine as these have cast iron bore liners).Reports of tensioner problems leading to timing chain failures.Front wishbone bushes can go after only about 20K miles causing steering problems, unven tyre wear and, if left unattended, possible suspension damage. Cost to replace can be £700. Jaguar's extended warranty does not cover this, but Warranty Direct's does.Desirable to have a full Jaguar dealer service history and must be immaculate to command top money.If the engine feels lumpy, it's a sign of serious engine problems.Don't buy a 97 - 99 XJ8 VIN from 812256 to 878717 inclusive unless it has had a replacement engine, indicated by a special tag on the nearside of the engine block. Beware of rattles from timing chain as tensioner could be about to let go. Plastic tensioners were later replaced by steel tensioners which can be fitted to earlier cars.Rear dampers prone to failure, particularly with CATS suspension. Where fitted, rear air suspension can be prone to failure.RecallsJaguar XJ8 (July-October 1997: 11,221 cars): may suffer sudden deceleration due to weak retention bracket on accelerator cable. Extra clip 'costing pennies' solves the problem. (Announced on radio 7-2-98.) Defective timing chain tensioner apparently subject to a recall, but cannot give a date.27-8-2003: On 16,389 XJ8s SAJJJJALD3CR812256 to SAJDA14C4YLF15803 pipe from power steering rack to oil cooler may chafe on alternator cable terminal which could cause an electrical short and risk of fire ib fascia trim over drivers feet as well as loss of power assistance to steering. Check pipe. Replace any damaged pipes. Cable tie pipe clear of alternator. Fit new alternator if necessary.
Expert:  Matt replied 7 months ago.
Hido you still need help?Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you