Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Jaguar XF diesel 2011. When I come to start my car first thing

Jaguar XF diesel 2011. When I come to start my car first thing in the morning the brake pedal is very hard and and I have to exert some pressure to actuate the micro switch which connects the starting circuit. Subsequent restarts that day are fine and there has been no deterioration in braking performance that I've notice. I don't pump the pedal after switching off or before starting. Is this a problem with the servo vacuum seals? Should I be concerned?
Philip
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hello Philip,
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm still needing a reply, Shantal
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello I'd say that this sounds like the vacuum pump may have a leakas being a deisel there's a pump driven off the end of the cylinder head and looks like this there will be a rubber hose that runs from this pump to the brake servo so check along this pipe for any signs of leaks , crack and tighten any clips that are present
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes that's an interesting possibility, Matt. Obviously vacuum is leaking overnight from somewhere (i.e. air is getting in). Is a vacuum normally retained in this pipe after the engine is turned off and the pump stops? I'll look at the pipe but it's dark and cold at the moment - I'll look tomorrow! Thanks
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello there should be a 1 way valve in the pipe to hold some vacuum in the brake servo so it works form the 1st push
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hido you still need help?Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you
Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience: BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Don't worry I always intended to reply. There was no visual damage to the vacuum pipe. Anything more than that I wouldn't have attempted myself so I took it yesterday to a jaguar specialist. They started it cold and road tested it and tell me there's nothing wrong with it. So, there you are! I'm worrying unnecessarily
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
glad to hear it