Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years

I have a jaguar 2.2 diesel,56 plate,70000 miles,intermitantly

i have a jaguar 2.2 diesel,56 plate,70000 miles,intermitantly cuts out,i pull over,turn ignition off,turn back on starts first time.i fitted new battery yesterday,ran fine for 28 miles then today i was doing 70 on motorway then cut out,restarted then cut out 3 times in the last mile before i got home.ive had a good auto electrician look at it,nothing,a diesel technician,nothing.there are no codes showing or in memory storage.can anyone help who has come accross this before.graham.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Matt replied 7 months ago.
Hello This could be a lack of fuel pressure from the electrical pump at the tank.If the connections to this are corroded or damaged then the pump could stop at any time or could not be running at full speed. Check that its relay switches in and out and the relay contacts are clean and bright – replace the relay if in any doubt and do the same for the fuse,Ideally measure the pressure at the inlet to the main engine fuel pump and if this is low check the pump as described and also consider changing the fuel filter as if this partially blocked this too will reduce pressure. If both of these are OK then also check the connections to the EGR valve, if either the vacuum pipe of electrical connection are damaged / corroded then the EGR can be on all time which certainly will hurt performance. Its also possible that its a fault with the EGR valve so its worth removing the valve and cleaning it out with brake cleaner, if it looks particularly clogged then replace it. If this is OK then check the small vacuum lines to the turbo and its connected control solenoid on the bulkhead, any cracks or leaks can give turbo issues and its best to have the boost pressure measured actually measured with a boost gauge to check that the turbo is healthy and that the sensor is reading correctly If its a variable vane turbo (they’ll be an actuator on the turbo body - but not a wastegate) then check its vacuum pipework as above and check the connections to the diaphragm / solenoid valve Also worth checking that the glow-plug relay is switching off as they can stick on and leave the glow plugs also on - on some cars this can force it into limp home Also worth considering adding a bottle of injector cleaner into the tank as a clogged injector nozzle will reduce power and give poor combustion - the next stage on from this is to remove all the injectors and have them ultrasonically cleaned and flow checked Also check all the high pressure hoses post turbo/s for any split hoses or cracked metal pipes, also check the ends of the intercooler as its not unheard of to pop the end caps off under high boost.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i understand what you are saying matt,but when all this started to happen back in october i had a full engine diagnostic check carried out and came back with a clean bill of health.before i bought the car back in nov 2013,the previous owner had to call the aa out due to the car not starting,the aa officer evantually tapped the EGR valve and it started up.i cannot find any documentation that the valve has been replaced,the fuel pressure has been checked,the cutting out happens when the revs are low as well as high,as high i mean about 2000 revs,once it cuts out i turn ignition off, straight back on and fires up straight away,the battery i replaced was an original one,been 9 years old and reading low on voltage,so was replaced wednesday.could EGR valve be the problem to what is happening.graham.
Expert:  Matt replied 7 months ago.
Hello Graham thanks for the extra information this does sound like the EGR valve is very likely to be the issueso I'd try removing the valve and clean it out with brake cleaner as the 1st step if this doesn't help then the valve will have to be replaced
Expert:  Matt replied 7 months ago.
Hido you still need help?Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you
Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience: BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years