Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have an X Type AWD that makes a thumping noise from the suspension

I have an X Type AWD that makes a thumping noise from the suspension every now and again.
I reckon it's a four wheel drive problem. Is there a coupling on the prop shaft that's loading up tha trans and suspension. I had a similar problem on a Freelander once, it was the coupling.
Can I remove the rear prop shaft for now till we have more clement weather to sort it out?
Jim.
Category: Jaguar
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just had a look under the car and I can see it's not the same sort of system as a Freelander.
Will the car drive if I remove the prop shaft to the rear final drive, to make it 2WD?
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello if you remove the rear prop then yes the car will drive in front wheel drive so its a good test to see if there's any slop in the prop and rear differentialalso with the prop off the car you can apply some twist to either end to feel for any play also check for worn mountings - check the tightness of the engine and gearbox mounts and their condition - this is best done by using a jack to take the weight of the engine off the mounts and seeing if any cracks or splits open up in the rubber.Also check the tightness of the mounts bolts
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hido you still need help?Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you