Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a s type jaguar there is fault on my rear nearside

Customer Question

I have a s type jaguar there is fault on my rear nearside wheel the fault is not constant but feels as wheel is being dragged speed it clears
Had prop ;brakes? tyre ? bearings checked been to 3 local garages ever time fault won't appear whilst driving around the block or on ramps
Nothing flagged up on dashboard
Sometimes a rumbling noise not always as if
I driven over something and vaibates like driving over a corrugated roof
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello I'd suggest 1st to pull the ABS fuse (no3 in the fascia fusebox) and then test drive to see if this makes any differenceif its does then with ABS systems 99% of the time its a problem with one of the wheel speed sensors and I'd first check the connections at all four corners first for any signs of corrosion or chafed wiring.The sensor is located in the wheel hub so you'll have to remove each wheel in turn to inspect them all.Also check that the toothed wheel that the sensor points to is clean and free of any debris.you can check each sensor's function by plugging the two output wires into an AC voltmeter and spinning the wheel quite quickly, you should get a voltage signal that increases with rev's. Its possible that the fault is only a bad connection to one of the wheel sensors.This may be remedied by removing each wheel in turn and unplugging each sensor and cleaning the contacts with a squirt of electrical contact cleaner. Then refitting.