Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Good morning 5 months ago because of low mileage and good

Customer Question

Good morning
5 months ago because of low mileage and good condition we bought the X type 08 plate, it did have problems with locking and unlocking but returned to dealer who sorted it.
Unfortunatly the last few days the boot will randomly unlock it self setting off the alarms.
Any ideas please.
Kath
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  JagLandyFord replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,There will be wiring which leads from the vehicle to the boot lid release switch.This will be pivoting in unison with the boot hinges.I suspect there is a broken wire at this point.In the colder weather the wires are not so flexible - and slowly break with the constant opening of the boot lid.These wires run through a rubber sheath near the hinge.If remove the rubber sheath from its securing hole - at the vehicle end and at the boot lid end - you should be able to pulle some slack within the wiring harness - to inspect for broken wires.What happens is either the wires make and break a connection to each other or with other wires or ground out on the vehicle body.If you are unable to see the break easily here - remove the boot lid interior cover - and inspect the wiring from here.There is also a possibility it could be a faulty boot lid switch or wiring up to the General Electrics Module at the front of the vehicle, but it is not as common as the broken wires at the hinges. I hope this helps.Please 'Accept' my answer if this assists you to resolving your concern - this is the only way I will receive payment.If the answer is not satisfactory - then please return for further assistance.Please note - I may not be able to answer straight away myself - as I work full time during a normal working week. - However there will be other experts who will assist you further if this is the case.Best Regards