Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

My wife has a 2004 x-type 2.0D estate on 130k miles. It

Hi.My wife has a 2004 x-type 2.0D estate on 130k miles. It was obviously neglected mechanically in a former life and we have been lavishing it with heaps of money. One problem, however, remains. When warmed up the idle speed seems too low and sounds terrible outside. Giving just a touch of throttle brings the idle up enough to be steady and sounding OK - up to about 800/850 rather than 700/750. When cruising to a halt the idle speed is steady and normal right up to the point when the wheels stop turning - at which point it drops again. It has never actually stalled, however. The car has had new injectors, diesel injector pump, Air Mass sensor, DMF etc as well as thorough servicing. In the old days I would simply have turned a screw to increase the idle speed manually but can't do that anymore. I've had suggestions ranging from cleaning EGR valve, cleaning throttle body, replacing idle speed sensor, vacuum leaks and so on. Wondered if you have seen this before and could advise? Thanks. Graham
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hello Graham,
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Shantal. Thanks for the message. No - I've not yet received a reply so would be grateful if you can find me someone! Thanks - Graham
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello Graham I'd agree that this does sound like a vacuum leak to be honest? The best way to locate a leak is to have the engine running and warm and then spray lighter gas /propane around each joint in turn. If the engine rev's up you've found your leak.Now you might think that spraying lighter gas around a hot engine isn’t wise, however the flash /ignition point of gas is about 400°C so you need a naked flame or spark to set it off and I’ve used this method for many years without incident.Work your way through each possible joint one at a time and you should find it. I use a slightly flattenedpiece of brake pipe and some rubber hose from the can of lighter gas to provide a spraying 'wand' and allow a direct blast of gas into each area, especially those difficult to reach with large implements.
Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience: BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years