JagLandyFord, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  Twice achieved Jaguar Master Technician.

Battery gone flat on my x type diesel 2004 usually starts with

Customer Question

battery gone flat on my x type diesel 2004 usually starts with jump lead but now no start on key although battery fully charged
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 6 months ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
I apologize as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do
you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you
like for us to close your question at this time?
Expert:  JagLandyFord replied 6 months ago.
Hi there,The X Type diesel vehicles are very fussy electrically when concerns with battery voltage are involved. The following scenarios can cause a 'spike' of voltage through the vehicle which usually ends up damaging the Engine ECU beyond repair.Ignition key left in ignition barrel - when a vehicle battery is replaced.Ignition key left in the ignition barrel with the ignition lights on - during the procedure of attaching the battery jump leads between this vehicle and a donor vehicle.If the vehicle currently cranks over the engine - then the security immobiliser is ok and the concern maybe a fuelling concern.If the vehicle does not crank over when the key is turned - then the security immobiliser maybe active as a result of the Engine ECU no longer communicating with the vehicle. A quick test using a Generic OBD (On Board Diagnostic) code reader will help to understand what state the Engine ECU is in.If you are able to read fault codes from the engine ECU - then the vehicle may be retrievable - from a current security immobilised state - but this will need to be done using a Jaguar Dealer diagnostic tool known as SDD. If you are unable to communicate with the Engine ECU at all - then this would confirm that the ECU is potentially damaged.However - some final checks before condemning it need to be performed.Check the Inertia switch - by accessing it on the passenger side footwell B pillar - push your finger through the hole onto a button below. If it Clicks - then it was activated, now de-activated by you and now the vehicle may start.Check Fuse 35 in the engine bay fuse box - a 5 amp fuse. This is the ignition relay supply fuse. Make sure the on condition is ok and a supply of 12volts or more is present with ignition on at that fuse.If the inertia switch appears ok and the voltage at the fuse is ok - then it may need an ECU if the vehicle is not cranking and you have no communications with the Engine ECU. It is possible to fit a second hand ECU to these vehicles, but it will have a different VIN number written in the ECU.DO NOT program the module as NEW as Existing.The way to get a second hand used ECU to operate on a vehicle is to use Jaguar SDD (Symptom Driven Diagnostics) - and run the diagnostic routine 'Immobilisation',If you dont do this - then it is possible to kill this ECU also. I hope the advice helps.Unfortunately I work full time during the working day, and run a second business during these spring summer months - so I am not always available to respond to further queries.I apologise in advance for this inconvenience but hopefully another expert will be equally willing to help you in any way they can - if I am not available.Best regards