Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

My XK8 05 has just been serviced and needed very little done.

My XK8 05 has just been serviced and needed very little done. I mentioned to the mechanic an odd noise seeming to come from behind the back seats / boot. No obvious link to speed, how long I have been driving, road surface ie seems random. Noise sounds like muffled 'bass boom' similar to a container expanding? Sorry, pretty hopeless description. All indicators - oil, engine temp spot on where they should be. Concern as I do not know what is causing it and also that the petrol tank is in that location. Any help gratefully received..............Geoff
Category: Jaguar
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
BIT DISAPPOINTED THAT AFTER MORE THAN ONE DAY, I AM STILL TO RECEIVE AN ANSWER.................
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello from your description I'd say its teh petrol tank expanding ?now this shouldn't happen as there's a system ( purge) that expels excess pressure and tank fumes back down to the engine, where they are fed back into the inlet manifold at certain timesSo I'd say its likely that the purge valve is faulty or the tank vent pipe is blocked
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much indeed for your reply. I am assuming that I should best avoid driving the car until it is fixed? I do wonder if it is safe to drive to the garage which is a couple of miles away and also if this is relatively straight forward to repair? Thank you once again..........Geoff
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
you could prove this theory out by loosening off the filler cap a little and see if the noise stops but yes the car should be safe to driveyou can also help by ensuring that the fuel tank is mostly full as then it generates less vapour and so less pressure
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fabulous Matt. I will give that a try and have a word with my local mechanic.......hopefully there is a way for me to revert back to you with what we discover as that 'may' inform and help others? Geoff
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
no problem Geoff just get back to me on this post and I'll help if I can