Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

I have a 2005 X Type and the air conditioning appears to

Customer Question

I have a 2005 X Type and the air conditioning appears to work intermittently although I have just had it serviced and topped up with coolant gas. Could it be the thermal sensor that switches the compressor on and off is faulty?
Category: Jaguar
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dear Jaguar mechanic,
Is there a thermal cut out on the compressor if it overheats in traffic? Do you need any further technical information? When can I expect your reply?
John Milton-Polley
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 1 year ago.

Hi there John , good morning To you and sorry for the delayed response

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to assist you today

Ok there are two common issues we come across on the x type

The first being a sticking air con relay and the second which is more common is a faulty clutch assembly on the air con compressor

With the fault present (air con not working )check the wiring to the air con clutch the easiest way is to dissconnect the 2 pin multiplug from the compressor/clutch and place a noid light (or a bulb /test light connected to both pins of the multiplug )

Then start the vehicle and put the air con on

If the noid light /bulb lights up you know the air con clutch is the issue

The air con clutch is the disc on the out side of the compressor

The Rear of the clutch free wheels when the air con is off

When you switch the air con on the clutch is activated with power by the air con relay

This indices the magnetic reaction which the clutch pulls on and then starts driving the inside of the compressor to enable the refridgerent to become pressurised

This would be the first thing to check as most technicians dive in to wiring etc before checking this as it rules out all wiring

If you need anymore help or advice on this issue John Please let me know and I will do my upmost to assist you

If you are satisfied with my answer /advice

PLEASE REMEMBER TO RATE MY ANSWER

Kindest regards ***** ***** and have a nice day

Any positive feedback is kindly appreciated

Brian