Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have an XJ* V8 year 2000. Starts fine. But engine check

Customer Question

I have an XJ* V8 year 2000. Starts fine. But engine check indicator is always on and the limited performance warning is intermittent. It will sometimes run perfectly at other times miss fires and splutters. All coils and plugs have just been replaced.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Matt replied 11 months ago.

if you have a check engine light on then by far the best next step is to plug in a scan tool and pull off the fault code, as this will then point to the issue and save a lot of time

however from your descrpition I'd say that its possible that this a lack of fuel and could be a lack of fuel pressure from the electrical pump at the tank.

1st thing to try is to remove the fuel filler cap and then flick the ignition on whilst listening for the brief ‘buzz’ of the pump

If the connections to the pump are corroded or damaged then the pump could stop at any time or could not be running at full speed. Check that its relay switches in and out and the relay contacts are clean and bright – replace the relay if in any doubt and do the same for the fuse,

Ideally measure the pressure at the injector rail (should usually be around 3Bar / 45psi +) and if this is low check the pump as described and also consider changing the fuel filter as if this partially blocked this too will reduce pressure

Expert:  Matt replied 11 months ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you