Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

XK 2006, just reached 50k miles, dark blue convertible. Over

Customer Question

Hi, XK 2006, just reached 50k miles, dark blue convertible. Over the last few weeks I've noticed some strange marking, stains, that seem to be under the paint on the bonnet. I've tried polish and even a light buffing with a blue scratch repair type of paste but no effect at all. As its aluminium does this mean it's corroding under the paint? If so how best to fix it?
Jim.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 12 months ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Matt replied 12 months ago.

I'd say its most likely to be heat damage from the engine, the underside of the bonnet should have a heatshield but over time this can degrade and transfer to the bonnet metal

as its under the paint I'm sorry to say that only fix is to have the panel re-sprayed

I'd also check that you don't have an exhaust leak thats creating more heat than usual

Expert:  Matt replied 11 months ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you