Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

My 2005 xtype, when I start the engine the glow plug light

Customer Question

hi,my 2005 xtype, when I start the engine the glow plug light sometimes flashes continousely and I don't get the proper power,sometimes I can stop nd restart then it ok light stays off,any ideas??? cheers john
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi..there..

The glowplug light flashing is an engine managment warning light,resulting in limp home mode reduced power..You maybe are correct in that maybe a glowplug has gone down resulting in an open circuit,but normally turbo actuators,egr are a common fault on these.iIf glowplugs in that case you would be best replacing all 4.....Id say at least from a starting point if you have small code reader or handheld scanner then plug that in and see if any fault codes are indeed stored,you'll need to this whislt the warning is up or flashing.as these codes will give an indication as to what steps you need to take for progressing further with a repair....