Greg
Greg, Technician
Experience:  Automotive diagnostic tech
29331485

General enquiry for support, 3 months ago I had an engine

Customer Question

General enquiry for support, 3 months ago I had an engine replaced (refrub) on my Jaguar XF 3LITRE diesel 2010 vehicle, by a local based engine specialist, had a service with the same garage after 500 miles and then as of the yesterday following a total of 1500 miles the engine has gone again, haven taken it back to the same garage they have informed that the passenger turbo has gone and needs replacing @ £1250 + VAT as this is not part of the engine replacement / work that took place less than 3 months ago following 1500 miles despite 12 months warranty being available?
Is there someone who can advise if this sounds right, would a passenger turbo be part of
the original engine replacement work that took place? Why would this area fail when originally found to be working and therefore not needing attention 1500 miles ago?
With thanks in advance.
With thanks in advance.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Greg replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Greg (Indy-Tech).
Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.
Rgds Greg.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Greg - many thanks for following this up, hope to hearing from you soon enough and I can provide any further details needed.With regards,
Simon
Expert:  Greg replied 4 months ago.

Hi Simon .

As a Engine rebuild and repair shop i can tell you if your vehicle going in for engine repairs then its just what we call a long or short block rebuild , so depending on what was done is what is warranted .

Alternators, starter motors, turbos etc are engine assessors and are not part of the warranty .

Even if the Turbo was to explode and ruin the engine the problem would be turbo damage cause of engine malfunction, and not be covered on engine warranty . .

Lets hope that is not the case and that you only have a turbo damage.

What i now suggest is you check on Ebay for a new or used Turbo, will be much cheaper than getting one from the dealer.

If you need further assistance with this issue then please get back to me with the reply box below .
This is not a one answer and done i/we will stay with you until the problem is sorted out .
Before rating poor or bad please get back to me as i'm here to help you and if i can't i will opt out so another expert can , we want you to be happy and have your problem sorted out and be a happy motorist .
After rating there is no further cost for any other question relating to this problem
Kind regards Greg.
.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Greg, ok many thanks and understood, to clarify the previous repair involved a total replacement engine @ £3500 so my disapponitment and horror is now that 3 moths / 1500 miles later a repeat failure has occurred, the engine is under 12 month warranty but if I am reading you correctly the turbo (passenger?) is not associated with the engine and therefore not expect to be under warranty? I'm being quoted £1500 for the turbo replacement / repair, sound right? My concerns involving me buying a replacement turbo is that a. I'm not certain what I am looking for b. The garage may not apply warranty to part that I am supplying?Thank you again for your helpful advice whilst I'm attempting to get this resolved.With regards,
Simon
Expert:  Greg replied 4 months ago.

Hi Simon .

Yes very easy to get the wrong part and if it does have a future problem then you are not covered.

Now when you got the crate engine do you know what came with it ? Complete with turbo alternator ??

Check this out if came complete then yes this is also on the warranty..

Greg

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Greg,Paperwork on the original engine is in work so will check further as of Tuesday - however the cyninic in me says that it isn't under warranty as the garage is quoting for work which they wouldn't if the warranty applied...I'll look into it regardless.
Expert:  Greg replied 4 months ago.

Hi Simon .

Like i said engine replacement is only long blocks, block and head.

All other parts are transferred from the original engine to the new.

But some are complete with wiring harness for a fast swap , and all parts from the old engine are used as a Core .

But most are reconditioned engine if not from the dealer,

Greg

Greg