Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a 2008 Jaguar XF Premium 2.7 Diesel. The steering

Hi there
I have a 2008 Jaguar XF Premium 2.7 Diesel. The steering control buttons have failed. This includes the audio buttons and the shift paddles not sure of the cruise control as i haven't tried those yet.
Please could you give me some advice on what I should be looking for? I have removed the airbag and checked all connections within and all seems fine. I cannot determine if there is a corresponding fuse that I should be checking.....
Please help
jeff
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 month ago.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Nicola.
Thanks for keeping me informed. Please continue with your search. This should be a reasonable question for an experienced jaguar mechanic. I've read that it seems to be a common problem. Just can't find a solution for it. Troubleshooting sequence is what I need.Kindest regards
Jeff
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Nicola
Please continue. I can now tell you quite simply that everything on the steering wheel is dead. The airbag light us on, the paddles, the audio buttons, the cruise control and the horn are all non functional. Could there be a connection somewhere that has come loose?Kindest regards
Jeff
Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

sorry about the wait

If you already have the airbag out then there is an arrow on the clock spring wiring and it's essential that it is kept vertical at all times especially as the manual suggests you should use a tool to hold it in place, during replacement. as its not supposed to move with the wheel, if it has been then its likely that it will need replacement

there's also a multiplug on the lower inside face of the wheel so disconnect that and spray both halves with switch / contact cleaner ( not WD40)

and there's also a connector plug onto the back of button panel from the clockspring wire so again disconnect, clean it and reconnect

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Matt
Thanks for your response. Please give me a chance to look at the car this evening. Could you elaborate on the 'clock spring wiring'. I don't remember any arrow. I have a single black earth cable and the two 'sets' of cables in black protection sheath s. I can see the two connector plugs through the steering wheel. Not sure what you mean by the 'clock spring wiring'. Do I need to remove the steering wheel to see this?
Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

the 'clock spring' is terminology for the rotating contact that turns with the wheel - see the attached image

if you look on the image you'll see the little arrow picked out in white on the sensor

and yes I do think you need to remove the steering wheel to see this as it sits on the steering column

Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience: BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Matt
Thanks for your help. The clock spring wiring was damaged. The electronic 'tab belt' had been ripped out of the plug. Need to find the replacement part and I'm sorted.
Definitely worth the money. You were a GREAT help!
Thanks again
Jeff.