Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Jaguar XJ6 suspension repair and maintenance. Whhat is

Customer Question

Jaguar XJ6 suspension repair and maintenance. Whhat is reuired as service item and at what sort of cost, Edinburgh based but can travel
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 month ago.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
fine with waiting James
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

it all depends on the milage and condition really as the suspension bushes can wear over time but its all dependent on how the car has been driven

I've known bushes to need replacement after 50K miles and others to go onto 150K miles

so there's not a service interval as such, just a regular check for play and slack and replace parts as required

to check for worn suspension joints - jack the car up so the wheel is off the ground (you’ll need to do this for all 4 corners) and shake the tyre from top to bottom and from side to side (with someone holding the steering wheel on the front) there should be no play in either direction. Any play in 1 direction will usually require a joint to be replaced, if there’s play in both directions then the wheel bearing may be at fault.

Now with the car jacked up on that side with the wheel about 2 inches off the ground use a steel bar under the wheel and lever the wheel up and down slightly, you should be able to look at the end of the axle and see if the suspension arm is moving up and down separately to the axle.If so replace the bush

Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you