Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

1966 engine number 7B58687-8 Should this have a 12 volt coil

1966 engine number 7B58687-8
Should this have a 12 volt coil with a ballast resistor ? Or not ? It's eating points.
Category: Jaguar
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Should have said the engine is a Mk 2 jaguar
Expert:  Matt replied 3 months ago.

Jaguars of this era used 12v coils and if its got points burning out, then check the state of the condensor and the engine earth

they never used an external resistor and instead its important to check the resistance of the coil is correct

you need a coil with at least 3 ohms across the "-" and "+" terminals.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks so far. I need to take another look at it and will get back to you.
Expert:  Matt replied 3 months ago.

no problem

just get back to me on this post

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Sorry for the delay. This engine is fitted in a vehicle built by Teal, makers of low volume sports cars and some kit cars. It is their type 59. The Jaguar 3.8 engine is plainly fitted with what looks to me like a ballast resister, flat oblong item pretty much in parallel with the coil, one wire going to the condenser on the distributor, which is a twin points Mallory. It breaks down regularly (sub 500 miles each time) 3 times in the past two years. Each time replacing condenser and replacing or cleaning points sets it running again. Coil has been renewed as well. Most annoying, because otherwise it's a very fun car.
I get no coherent answers from local garage. Any suggestions please ?
Expert:  Matt replied 3 months ago.

OK if its aftermarket then looks like you should run a Mallory coil to go with the Mallory distributor

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/maa-29440/overview/

Expert:  Matt replied 3 months ago.

and it looks like a Mallory coil will also run a ballast resistor too

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Looking at the coil, the only words I can see without major surgery are. 'Intermotor'
Am I now back to wondering why condenser etc needs replacement all the time ?
Expert:  Matt replied 3 months ago.

Intermotor make pattern parts for the industry - the part quality is Ok but not at Bosch levels

I would suggest fitting a new coil from Mallory to go with the mallory distributor they also supply a ballast resistor to go with this coil too

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you for your help
Expert:  Matt replied 3 months ago.

no problem

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Something odd here, I rated it five stars but the system doesn't seem to recognise that.
Thanks again.