Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Just bought a xtype 2.2 diesel sport. When I take it up to

Customer Question

Just bought a xtype 2.2 diesel sport. When I take it up to 60/70 and accelerate the car judders and when accelerating in first to second there is a grinding sound. Any ideas what it could be?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

I' d start by checking for worn mountings - check the tightness of the engine and gearbox mounts and their condition - this is best done by using a jack to take the weight of the engine off the mounts and seeing if any cracks or splits open up in the rubber.Also check the tightness of the mounts bolts

might also be an idea to drain the gearbox oil and replace it if its black

and if you allow it to pass through some paper towel as it exits then this will catch any metal debris and provide more clues to the gearbox condition

you need 1.75 ltrs of oil and its a castrol BOT 130M spec

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The car has recently had an mot should these things have been picked up?
Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

gearbox condition no they won't check but a broken mount should have been found - however a lot of MOT's are not as thorough as they should be

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok thanks! I’m not going to get chance to get it to a garage for a week or so. Is it ok to drive still?
Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

might be worth a quick look on the driveway yourself I'd say

if the mounts aren't broken entirely then you'll be OK but a quick 10 minute check is time well spent