Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Xtype 2.0d new clutch which sorted the dmf horrible rattle.

Customer Question

Xtype 2.0d new clutch which sorted the dmf horrible rattle. Now it lets me hear the other noises. Car has 72,000mikes and good service history. Sounds like a taxi at times. I'm pretty up to speed on cars. My dad had a garage for 60 years.
Want to check if my thoughts are right. Pulls tensioner or other stuff?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

I'd first try removing the auxiliary drive belt and turning every pulley and ancillary ( power steering pump , alternator etc) by hand. All should turn easily (with the exception of the AC pump) with no grittyness or wobbly pulleys- If you do find a sticky pump / alternator then it should be replaced or repaired
If the engine is stone cold you can briefly run it with no belts to see if the noise changes or has gone away, this will help show if an ancillary is the issue

Examine carefully the condition of the bottom / crank pulley as these are composite construction with a rubber element and its possible this rubber is breaking up and allowing the two metal portions to move.

Another possibility is the variable valve timing system as this does rely on oil pressure to correctly synchronise your vvti pulley on the end of the camshaft. If the valve has become blocked up then its possible the pulley is rattling about and producing the noise.

Expert:  Matt replied 29 days ago.

do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you