Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I bought a new F.Pace portfolio in August this year,with 22"

Customer Question

I bought a new F.Pace portfolio in August this year,with 22" wheels as recommended by
several people...It looks fantastic,but the ride is VERY firm.....is there an adjustment to soften the ride and if so..what would that be please
Regards ***** *****
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

The first thing to do is check that the tyre pressures are correct to those stated in the manual / on the door jamb sticker, if this is OK then its also worth making sure that the suspension geometry is correct as if a camber or rear toe setting is out then this would make the car feel nervous,

I'd recommend taking the car to a place that does 4 wheel suspension alignment, most places use the back wheels as a datum and assume that they are perfectly straight and true. Often this is not the case and many modern cars are now adjustable at the rear as well as the front.

A 4 wheel alignment measures all four wheels independently and each is set -up without referring to each
other and should only cost around £40.

If looks Ok then I'd consider fitting a taller profile tyre with a smaller diameter wheel, this will add some compliance to the ride and generally calm the quick responses. An alternative is to keep the current wheel and replace the tyres with some of a softer sidewall so removing some of the compliance in the system - Toyo's for example
This is especially true if you have run-flat tyres currently fitted
If you look on the tyre at the end of the number eris there's a letter the number just before this letter denotes the load capacity and therefore sidewall stiffness.
ie 225/55 R16 91V its the 91 you're interested in try a tyre with a lower figure and you'll get a softer tyre, however bear in mind this will also soften the steering response
Its also worth checking that all the main suspension pivot points have been tightened with the car on its wheels not in the air as this can add a lot of friction to the suspension and lastly check that the brakes aren't binding at all as this too can make the ride very jerky and bouncy

if you want to go a step further than this I'd suggest to fit a slightly softer spring
a good compromise is a spring with a rising rate
so the 1st 1" of travel is softer than normal but then gets stiffer further up the suspension travel
this results in a softer ride over small imperfections in the road but the car still doesn't wallow around in fast corners as it lean over
someone like
http://kingsprings.com.au/product/progressive-rate

Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt