Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

My 2004 X-type 2.5l AWD engine warning light came on in the

Customer Question

My 2004 X-type 2.5l AWD engine warning light came on in the last few days. Today (for no apparent reason) all of the 4 dashboard instruments show zero readings after I filled the tank with petrol. Perhaps the two are related ? What should I do ?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

On any car if you get a check engine light or other fault light this typically means one or more of the sensors has failed or has a faulty connection.

The fault can be something quite simple and nothing that’s going to stop the car to something quite major that will reduce engine power and possibly stop the engine

The ECU senses this and may put the car into 'limp home' mode which typically limits the revs and the amount of power available. Usually the car is safe to drive for a short distance as the mode is intended is intended to get you home without incurring any engine damage

The quickest route to repair is to have the car plugged into a diagnostic machine which will read off the fault code stored in the ECU (providing the light is still on at this point) and indicate which sensor has failed or whether the fault is more serious.

now regarding the instrument issue then

Hidden away in your Jaguar is the X-Type Instrument cluster dianostics, a very useful if difficult to read Integrated Diagnostic System (IDS).This IDS has a self-diagnostic mode known as ETM (Engineering Test Mode), it can be used to show the status of the instrument cluster inputs as well as other useful diagnostic features. The central LCD on the X Type and RH Message center S-Type displays internal data that can be cycled through by repeated pressing the trip button.X-TYPE Instrument Cluster Self-Diagnostic ETMVIN: C00344 onwardTo place the cluster in ETM, perform the following:Press and hold the stalk trip cycle button whilst turning the ignition from position 0 to position II, until'TEST' or 'ENGINEERING TEST MODE’ is displayed on the Message Centre display. The stalk trip cycle button must be released within three seconds of 'ENGINEERING TEST MODE’ being displayed or the instrument cluster will exit Self- Diagnostic mode.To navigate forward through the instrument cluster Self-Diagnostic Mode tests, press the tip of the indicator stalk (X-Type) or the trip computer ‘MLS/KMS’ button(S Type).To navigate backward through the instrument cluster Self-Diagnostic Mode tests (S Type), press the trip computer ‘A/B’ button.To exit Self-Diagnostic Mode, press the stalk trip cycle button for more than three seconds.The Self-Diagnostic Mode is also deactivated when the ignition switch is turned to the 'OFF' position, or low battery voltage is detected.If the Self-Diagnostic Mode cannot be accessed (check function of buttons), use IDS/WDS to diagnose the instrument cluster.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

also if you do get a dash error then you can find its meaning here:

http://www.bluejag.co.uk/X-Type%20Instrument-cluster-diagnostic%20info.php

My goal is to give you the best advice that I can and I hope that I've helped today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave. If you need more help, use the reply box to let me know.
If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt

Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt