indy-tech
indy-tech, Technician
Experience:  Jeep tech ,
29331485

Engine management warning light is on and vehicle wont shift

Customer Question

Engine management warning light is on and vehicle wont shift out of 1st gear. No codes present in on board computer. Any ideas?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  indy-tech replied 4 years ago.
Hi .

First for transmission manufactures codes a normal code reader will not read the codes, you will need a top level scan tool.

If the check engine light is on then there is a recorded malfunction code .

If the transmission will not change gear then you are in limp mode due to the recorded malfunction .

You will have to have the system checked by your local garage or dealer to check for codes .

Need further assistance then please get back to me .

Kindest regards Greg
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Greg

The nearest Jeep dealership is approx' 25 miles away, is it ok to drive the vehicle that far? If so what revs should I keep to?

Martyn

Expert:  indy-tech replied 4 years ago.
Hi Martyn.

First disconnect the battery for a few minutes then reconnect then test drive, the transmission may work for a while ? if not then ring a few local garage they may have a top end scan tool, or better your local transmission shop. may save you this trip .

Also please check the transmission fluid level , could be low .also check that it is still a nice transparent red to a light brown ,if dark brown or black then you have internally damaged transmission and will need removing to open and inspected .

In some cases you may be better off with a transmission shop then a dealer .

Please get back if you need further assistance with this issue .

Kindest regards Greg
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Many thanks Greg

Expert:  indy-tech replied 4 years ago.
Your welcome Martyn .

Need anything then please get back to me ,on this same page .

Kindest regards and thank you .Greg