indy-tech
indy-tech, Technician
Experience:  Jeep tech ,
29331485

Occasionally on starting jeep, engine management light comes

Customer Question

Occasionally on starting jeep, engine management light comes on, won't change gear
(automatic) if I stop and turn off and start again it eventually changes gear and light goes off after speed gets up past 40mph. also the washer fluid light comes on at every start up and doesn't go off, could this have anything to do with the engine light ??
Many thanks..
Category: Jeep
Expert:  indy-tech replied 4 years ago.
Name is Greg, My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back,

What is actually happening is the management system is getting a malfunction signal and putting the transmission into limp mode .

What you will have to do is have your Jeep hooked up to a diagnostic scan tool like the Dealer DRBII scan tool and have the systems scan tested for malfunction codes .

This issue does sound like you have a problem with a speed sensor signal ,and maybe just a quick sensor replacement ,if nothing else is found to be the issue ,

But this can be confirmed with the scan tool and is the best way to diagnose this issue and not to replace parts on other peoples assumptions as this could get very expensive.

If you need further assistance with this issue then please get back to me with the reply box below.

Kind regards Greg