Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert

Engine just stopped on the motorway, will turn over but not

Customer Question

Engine just stopped on the motorway, will turn over but not start??
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer..

My name is MIKE - Im happy to help you with this...

There are many reasons that such can happen Im afraid ... ranging from fuelling issues to electronics to engine mechanical issues such as broken timing belt etc.

The latter is actually a common issue depending on mileage -and will give you exactly as you have described but at this point its impossible to say it will be one thing or the other -

What will have to be done with this is physical methodical checking to see just what has happened -

Usually the place to start is with the fuel system - to check if there is fuel coming through ( fuel pump issues etc ) and then progress from there - ie, if there is no fuel - the pump has to be checked - or its drive..and then if there is - the timing belt would be the next logical thing to check.

As a tip however - if the engine sounds to be turning over fast and free - different to normal - the timing belt should be the first thing to check - as if that has broken, there will be no compression -hence the engine sounds different,.... Let me know how you get on...Im always happy to help more as / if needed as you progress -

Let me know if you need anything more..

>> >> Meantime -- Please click on the OK rating to Excellent ratings service for me now, Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Please note, you are rating the content of my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc which are not under my personal control -or delays caused by "time -off" which we all have on occasion - Thank you.