indy-tech
indy-tech, Technician
Experience:  Jeep tech ,
29331485

JEEP WRANGLER 2.5 Sport (Petrol) I recently bought (privately)

Customer Question

JEEP WRANGLER 2.5 Sport (Petrol)

I recently bought (privately) a year 2000 Jeep with (apparently) only 35,000 miles on the clock. It was driving fine locally, and then I drove it from London to Co Cork. On long haul hills the temperature guage just touched the red, and it seems to be gradually losing water (not a lot). Once going downhill the temp gauge quickly settled back to normal.
Now on starting the engine seems to be missing, but once it starts moving the engine runs more smoothly. Occasionally, it misses when in early second or third gear.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  indy-tech replied 4 years ago.
Name is Greg, My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back,

This Jeep has a thermal viscos fan so when the engine temp hits 103c the PCM grounds the fan to supplie battery voltage and snaps it on to cool the engine , have this checked .most common issue

In your case i would also have the cylinder head gasket checked as it sounds like you have blown the gasket , this is why then engine is now misfiring .
Best why to check is first remove all plugs and do a compression test if this shows good then do a combustion test from the radiator to check for Co2 in the coolant this will confirm a blown headgasket .

Please click here for test kit .

Seen this happen too many times and i'm pretty sure this could ber your problem .

After testing then please get back to me if needed.

Need further assistance then please get back to me with the reply box and not the poor or bad service button .

Rgds Greg