indy-tech
indy-tech, Technician
Experience:  Jeep tech ,
29331485

Hi, I have a Grand Cherokee. Due to go off with caravan on

Customer Question

Hi, I have a Grand Cherokee. Due to go off with caravan on Monday, but Malfunction Indicator Light came on when driving home last night. Having problems finding anyone who can look at it for me. Any suggestions? P.S. live near Hindhead on Surrey/Hampshire/West Sussex borders.
Hope to hear from you.
Chris Holman
Category: Jeep
Expert:  indy-tech replied 4 years ago.
Name is Greg, My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back,

Hi what i need you to do is check for malfunction codes .

Here is what you have to do if you don't have the diagnostic scan tool .

Switch the ignition to the "ON" position (do not start the engine )
then switch "OFF" do this three times ending with the switch in the "ON" postion
then check the dash cluster and in the information screen you will see codes pop up like P0401 0r any other possible P0501 etc take note of the codes then get back to me with the codes you may have more than one , ones finished the screen will say DONE
recheck if you need to .

Post the codes for me to check for you .

Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Greg,

Thanks for reply, sorry for delay, have been away over night.

Have tried that - no message on screen, but warning light now off.

Would it have reset by just turning ignition on and off 3 times?

Chris Holman

Expert:  indy-tech replied 4 years ago.
Hi Chris ..

No you may just have a intermittent problem ,sometimes they sort themselves out
due to a glitch, but if there is still a problem the light will come back on then you will have to be connected to a scan tool to check for malfunction codes ..

If the car is not smoking black, white or Gray smoke then you should be okay to do this trip.

Just make sure you do your regular checks before doing the trip,coolant,engine oil ,tyre pressure,PS fluid .
Check the wheel lug nut are tight , when you fill up with diesel throw in a good can of high quality diesel injector cleaner .

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back with the reply box below and not the poor or bad service button ,

For further assistance there is no extra charge after accepting.

Rgds Greg