indy-tech
indy-tech, Technician
Experience:  Jeep tech ,
29331485

I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee 1993 Will not start have replaced

Customer Question

I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee 1993 Will not start have replaced distributor cap and Rotor, I can hear the fuel pump working but taken out a plug and is dry, also no spark at the plugs. Is there a relay that will stop both at the same time if so where should I look.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  indy-tech replied 3 years ago.
Name isXXXXX goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back,

Hi .

Check the under the bonnet in the fuse box by the battery you will find a ASD relay swap this over with the relay next to ( A/C ) relay then try and start .

On the top of the fuse box cover is the fuse and relay location sheet on the inside of the fuse box lid.

Just in case you don't have a lid due to being lost over the years check out the location
diagram below ..

graphic

graphic

If still having issue then please get back to me .

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back with the reply box below and not the poor or bad service button ,

For further assistance there is no extra charge after accepting.

Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

forgot to say this has a gas conversion, try moving the ASD relay also checked all the fuses in the power distribution centre but still will not start, I got the registration date wrong it is 1997 reg is P996 XAP sorry? have you any more suggestion, also the power distribution centre was a bit differant thanks.

Expert:  indy-tech replied 3 years ago.
Hi John .

When cranking over the engine check your Rev counter does it move and show 250rpm +/-50rpm .

Greg
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No it does not move sorry I was slow to reply but jeep outside and we have had very heavy rain, I have had to charge the battery to spin the engine at full speed. as I said it does not move but on the dash board it say's check gauges.

Expert:  indy-tech replied 3 years ago.

Ok thank you Jihn .

You have a bad crankshaft sensor ,replace this and you should be back to normal .

A bad crankshaft sensor will cut off any spark .

Crank sensor is on the top left side of the bell housing and engine block below the
cylinder head .
Will look like this one .
graphic

Need further assistance then please get back to me .

Rgds Greg

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

sorry Greg, I have found the sensor but do you get at it from the top or bottom, I have found it very difficult to get to there are two cables in the way, one for the brake /park the other for the gears, do you have to unclip them, if so how?. also would you have a part number for the sensor as I am finding it hard to get the part. Plus will I need a special tool to undo the bolt or will a spanner do

regards john

Expert:  indy-tech replied 3 years ago.
Hi John .

Best from under the car with a extension and elbow and a 10mm socket.

Then unclip the plug and replace .

Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Greg do you have to move the cables that are infront of the plug? it is hard to get to the bolt. Also do you know the part number of the of the plug/sensor.so I order one in advance it hasn't stopped raining since I started and Im working outside dam rain!!

Thanks John

Expert:  indy-tech replied 3 years ago.
Hi John.

If there is any obstruction then you will have to lift them out the way but normally this is a stright forward removal and replace job .

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Check which one you have as some came with two bolts and not one like shown .
You can get the sensor at Rockauto for around $40.00 ..

Rgds Greg