mike_a_mechanic
mike_a_mechanic, Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as a auto mechanic, foreign and domestic.5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

compass january 2012model will not start key has new battery

Customer Question

compass january 2012model will not start key has new battery clutchpedal fully depressed will not start just dead instrument panel shows symbol of ETC and engine management display the nearet dealer is in York which is 25 miles away they say that I MUSTtake the vehicle in to them however this is a little difficult to tow the vehical over such a long distance without power steering or brakes
Category: Jeep
Expert:  mike_a_mechanic replied 4 years ago.
Hi,my name is mike and I will assist you with your question.
From what you are describing this is a failed ignition switch or the body control module has lost communication with the ignition. You can try disconnecting the negative and positive battery cable ends for 5 minutes and this might reset the system. However what the dealer is telling you is correct the vehicle has to go to them. With the ignition switch or the module a dealer diagnostic tool is needed.