Mike
Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

jeep cherokee laredo 1996 after driving for about 30 mins

Customer Question

jeep cherokee laredo 1996 after driving for about 30 mins a loud banging sound staarts up sounds like metal ringing noise . after turning off the enigne and restarting it the noise disappears what could it be
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer..

My name is MIKE - Im happy to help you with this...

"Noises" per se - can be very difficult for us without being able to be there to see / hear etc - Can I just ask - can you determine at all , with the benefit of hearing and feel - whereabouts on the vehicle the banging comes from ... ie, front / back / middle... under body and so on...?

Too - is it rhythmic... with the speed of the engine and / or , the speed of the vehicle?

Kind Rgds, MIKE...................................
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

bottom rear of engine speed of engine

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello again Bob -

Thank you for your reply...

In that case, it would either indicate main or big end trouble as a suspect.. but with such especially, main bearings you would expect to see low oil pressure indicated the same time.. So check on that - check your light works as it should -

Other than that - if its proven not to be in the engine, then the gearbox area - flywheel / clutch etc is suspect next.

The trouble with anything like this is narrowing it down without stripping things - and that can be hard ... but if you can get it to to it while you have it up on ramps - or so that you can get under - then as its happening, you can use a large screwdriver as a stethoscope to feel / listen around the engine / gearbox etc to determine / trace it down.. that would be ideal if you can do that.

Again its hard to say Bob without being there / testing etc - all I can do is point you in the right direction as to what / how to check as above to find what's causing this..

Any general garage would check it in this way to find and get this sorted for you - So thats the way forward for you on this one Bob.. Let me know how you get on.. Im always happy to help more if needed.

Just a thought too - Bear in mind too that noises can "travel" -- as its in line with engine speed as you say - check / ensure its not anything rotational on the engine - such as the pulleys etc... just in case. The main bottom crank pulley can do such things... worth just checking as you go -

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Let me know if you need anything more on this at all -

Please do click on the OK rating to Excellent ratings service for me now, Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Please note, you are rating the content of my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc which are not under my personal control -or delays caused by "time -off" which we all have on occasion - Thank you.

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello again Bob -

Im getting notification that you have replied to me - after my answer for you above but Im not actually seeing anything printed -

Please get back to me and repeat whatever you said, it must have got lost somehow..

Kind Rgds, MIKE....................................