indy-tech
indy-tech, Technician
Experience:  Jeep tech ,
29331485

06 Grand cherokee 5.7 hemi; on some occasions starts first

Customer Question

06 Grand cherokee 5.7 hemi; on some occasions starts first turn of the key, others it will turn over and over not firing. I then have to pump the accelerator pedal a couple of times and it will start. Always seems to rev quite high immediately after starting befiore settlng down to usual tick over?????????
Category: Jeep
Expert:  indy-tech replied 4 years ago.
Name is Greg, My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back,

Is your check engine light "ON" when the engine is running .

Greg
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no check engine light, car runs fine once started, recently fitted new throttle body , egr valve and spark plugs to try to eliminate 'fish bite' - still has 'fish bite' but now new starting problem has arisen?

Expert:  indy-tech replied 4 years ago.
Hi .

There is a fuel pressure test port on the engine fuel rail , see if you can have the fuel pressure tested ..

Low Fuel pressure can do this was the fuel filter ever replaced ?

Greg
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have not replaced the fuel filter in last 60,000 miles. Do you think that might be worth a go?

Expert:  indy-tech replied 4 years ago.
So long ,yes sir i would do this first as this should of been replaced every 15,000miles
so nothing lost here if still does not start ,do this then check the fuel pressure .

Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

didn't realise ther was one on the petrol hemi engine. Where is it located

regards Jim

Expert:  indy-tech replied 4 years ago.
Jim sorry the fuel filter's are on and in the fuel pump module ,so best to check the fuel pressure first .if low remove fuel pump module and check the strainer filter and the inside the module filter ..

But just been in the Hemi data bank and found this for you .

Inlet manifold gasket leak (vacuum leak causing hard start and once warm easy to start .
But the most common for your problem is the fuel pressure ;

Check this then get back to me for further assistance if needed.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back with the reply box below and not the poor or bad service button ,

For further assistance there is no extra charge after accepting.

Rgds Greg