Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

What would cause my 2003 jeep grand Cherokee gauges to flicker

Customer Question

What would cause my 2003 jeep grand Cherokee gauges to flicker and the car not want to start like it is dead
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully I can help..

Usually with a kind of fault like you describe - the first place to check ideally would be in regards to main battery on the vehicle - so double check the connections on the battery itself are secure and tight and don't show any sort of corrosion etc.as a build up of corrosion around the terminals can cause this aswell as mentioned a loose terminal etc aswell as that follow the earth points from the negative side of the battery and ensure they are clean and properly tight..if you can too maybe try a jump start using a good set of jumpleads and access to another car or if you have portable booster pack you can try that on the battery and see if the car starts..if it does then it will be a case of having the battery tested/checked out..aswell as the charging system to ensure it is properly charging..if the battery itself is fairly old then it possible the battery has or is reaching the end of its lifespan and not holding the charge and thus you get a drop in voltage and can cause the dash needles to flicker or prevent the engine from turning over etc.. I do hope this helps..if you need to ask anything else or include further info.then just continue before you rate