indy-tech
indy-tech, Technician
Experience:  Jeep tech ,
29331485

i have a 2006 jeep cherokee sport,the ignition barrel is knackered,to

Customer Question

i have a 2006 jeep cherokee sport,the ignition barrel is knackered,to get to it i understand that i have to take the steering wheel off,i have got to that point...i have bought a universal steering wheel puller but it won't do it...is there a special tool i need?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

Expert:  indy-tech replied 3 years ago.
Name is Greg, My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back,

REMOVAL

The electrical ignition switch attaches to the rear of the key lock cylinder housing. The SKREEM unit also attaches to the key lock cylinder housing. For ignition switch terminal and circuit identification

1. Disconnect negative cable from battery.
  2. Use a plastic trim removal stick (2) to remove switch bezel (1). Bezel snaps on.

Remove silencer pad (1) (two screws).

Remove knee blocker

Use a plastic trim removal stick (2) to remove I.P. cluster bezel (1). Bezel snaps on.

To prevent binding or kinking cable (2), carefully lower the key/cylinder/switch/cable/SKREEM assembly (1). Disconnect two electrical connectors (one at ignition switch and one at SKREEM). To release cable (2) from switch, simultaneously press on tab (3) while pressing on tab.

Remove ignition switch (2) from switch housing (1) by removing screw (4) and then proceeding to the next step.

Continue to remove ignition switch (2) by simultaneously pressing on two release tabs using two small screwdrivers (1), while pulling ignition switch (2) from housing (3).
To remove key lock cylinder (1) from housing (2), rotate key to ON position while pressing on release tab (3).

Need further assistance with this issue then please get back to me if needed.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back with the reply box below and not the poor or bad service button ,

For further assistance there is no extra charge after accepting.

Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thanks for the reply but it's not the answer that i want,i want to know how to remove the steering wheel?

Expert:  indy-tech replied 3 years ago.
Hi .

Sorry just in case you still need this information .

1. Disable and remove the drivers side airbag (1).

2. Disconnect all the electrical connectors (2, 6, 7).

3.Partially remove the steering wheel bolt and leave the bolt in the column.

4. Install puller (2) or equivalent using the top of the bolt to push on.

5. Remove the steering wheel.

Rgds Greg