mike_a_mechanic
mike_a_mechanic, Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as a auto mechanic, foreign and domestic.5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

I have a 1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport with 98000 mileage. The

I have a 1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport with 98000 mileage.
The vehicle is working OK but there is a metalic rubbing noise coming from the gear shift. It is more noticable at the higher gear positions. The noise is level is related to the vehiclespeed. It is not related to the engine speed.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

Expert:  mike_a_mechanic replied 3 years ago.

Hello, welcome. My name isXXXXX will do my very best to
assist you with your question.

Is this a automatic or manual?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

As I said the rubbing noise comes up through the gear shift so it has to be manual

Ok this issue is the clutch release bearing that is located on the gearbox shaft and when failing results in this issue. This bearing makes this noise when it's failing regardless of the clutch being pressed or not.
mike_a_mechanic, Mechanic
Experience: 17 years experience as a auto mechanic, foreign and domestic.5 years running my own repair business.