Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert

Just drove my 2001 3.1 diesel jeep grand cherokee home this

Customer Question

Just drove my 2001 3.1 diesel jeep grand cherokee home this evening escorting a slow moving vehicle 20/25 mph over a 6 mile journey. After 4 miles engine note changed to what I would describe as a rough sounding diesel then returned to normal after a few seconds, another mile down the road the note changed again and it started to loose power intermittently, I then slowed the the vehicle to a stop and the engine cut out! I put the box in to park and started the engine it juddered slightly and then gave me the kangeroo treatment up the road till I got home. Anyone out their had similar probs I'm hoping fuel filter .
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.

I apologize as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do
you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you
like for us to close your question at this time?

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome -

My name is MIKE - Im happy to help you --

You dont mention its mileage or service history at all but if the fuel filter -and air filter - is over 10-12 ,000 miles old - then I would recommend to check the air filter - change if needed - but definitely change the fuel filter.

I would also suggest to put a bottle of diesel system injector cleaner in the tank - and give the vehicle a good drive in a higher gear for 20 mins or so to drive that through - or a mix of it of course - but that will help if you are any dirt going through that may at low engine revs be clogging the pintles on the injectors.

Thats the first thing to do but IF that doesn't cure it - I suggests have the injectors tested - as you sound like you have a misfire on one or more - caused possibly by the above or just age etc..and then go from there with what is found / diagnosed.

Of course this assumes all else is checked and ok - general service items etc - Thats the way to go on this one to get this sorted for you - Do check that you have no air leaks anywhere on the diesel system - air or diesel leaks - which would cause an air ingress and a misfire situation...

Let me know if you need anything more on this at all -

Please do click on the "OK rating to Excellent ratings" service for me now, Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Very Best Rgds, MIKE.

Please note, you are rating the content of my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc which are not under my personal control -or delays caused by "time -off" which we all have on occasion - Thank you.