romee619
romee619, Mechanic
Experience:  Let my online troubleshooting skills speak for themselves!
61287765

cant start my jeep I have had starter motor check thats fine

Customer Question

cant start my jeep I have had starter motor check that's fine what else could it be
Category: Jeep
Expert:  indy-tech replied 3 years ago.
Name isXXXXX goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back,

When you say can't start does this mean the starter will not turn the engine or the starter turns the engine and will not fire up.

Greg
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

when I turn the jeep on the lights come on but when you turn to start the jeep there is nothing had starter motor checked & that will start the jeep so looking for what the problem is

Expert:  indy-tech replied 3 years ago.
On the back of the starter motor is a cable and a wire, with a jump cable connect the two together this will activate the starter and turn the engine over do this with the ignition on ,

Let me know if the engine turns over and starts .

Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

all ready done that & it starts

Expert:  indy-tech replied 3 years ago.
Hi Kevin ..

Okay with a test light connect to the wire on the starter try and start the light should start up if not check the starter relay .

Greg
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

when I do this the jeep starts & is driveable but when I turn it off it wont restart

Expert:  indy-tech replied 3 years ago.
Hi Kevin

On the starter motor you have a wire normally black or black and yellow connect a test light to this then try and start and let me know if the test light lights up or not when the key is turned to start .

Greg
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

done this & it still starts so do you think it is the solanoird on the starter motor

Expert:  indy-tech replied 3 years ago.
Hi Kevin i think you are misunderstanding me .

I need you only to see if you are getting power at the black wire when you turn the key to start ,not to jump the wire to the cable on the solenoid just to check for power on the wire when the key is turned to start.

Greg
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

done this all powered up