mike_a_mechanic
mike_a_mechanic, Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as a auto mechanic, foreign and domestic.5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

Hi I have a 2003/4 3.7 Cherokee/Liberty with the 4 speed auto

I have a 2003/4 3.7 Cherokee/Liberty with the 4 speed auto transmission.
Just had the fluid and filters changed in the box, and the mechanic said inside the box was clean, no swarf on the magnets etc, and all seems fine going up and down, except when slowing down from highway speed to a junction, I am getting a pronounced clunk just before coming to a halt.

A couple of gearbox experts here in the UK think it could be a worn out solenoid or a spring somewhere which is preventing 2nd gear engaging/disengaging smoothly.

Any ideas, thanks. Mark
Category: Jeep
Expert:  mike_a_mechanic replied 3 years ago.
Hello, welcome. My name isXXXXX will do my very best to assist you with your question. I apologize if you have been waiting long for a response.

From what you are describing the issue that you are having is consistent with the 1-2 shift solenoid inside of the valve body, the solenoid is starting to stick. The solenoids inside the valve body will need to be tested, this is a common issue.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Mike, I guessed this might be the case. Is this a cheap and easy fix - how many hours labor am I going to have to pay for ??!!

£50 per hour in the UK !!

mark

This will be about a 3 hour repair. The solenoid is cheap it is mainly just the labor. Have the shop save the fluid when they drain it to do the job and reuse the fluid. Thank you.