Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert

I have a 5.2 left hand drive Grand Cherokee LE 1994. The old

I have a 5.2 left hand drive Grand Cherokee LE 1994.It has 105K on the clock and not driven often. crank sensor and key fob have been replaced and it appears to work - central locking but have been told the car has no "spark" and have also been told it is not the fuel pump. when the ignition is turned the engine appears to stutter but The old girl won't start - can anyone help?

Category: Jeep
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome -

My name is XXXXX XXXXX Im happy to help -

A way to tell if your key /fob etc... ie, security system is actually ok, is if the light for the system operates as it normally would - ie, not out or stuck on or rapidly flashing when you turn the key - then if thats all ok, its not an immobiler issue.

A crank sensor being faulty would certainly cause this but you have renewed that ... but you need to carefully check the wiring connector to it - check the pins - sometimes the corrode or push back into the socket so not contacting... Carefully check the wiring from it too - the loom for any chaff damage and so on..

If there are no faults there suspect the coil... the ign coil. Given your symptoms, that would be the suspect then...

Let me know how you get on - or get back to me if you need anything else at all...

Kind Rgds - MIKE.

...Meantime..............Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me as that's how Im credited for helping you - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Rgds, MIKE.
Mike, Technician
Experience: Tech Expert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Mike

Thank you very much for your reply - we are based in Egham - are you anywhere close to assist in repairing the Jeep or do you know anyone in the area?? Do please let us know

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hi there. Thank you very much for your reply.

Well two things in line with what you ask, one, we are not allowed to do physical work ( as in justanswer contract terms ) and two, no I'm no where near you I'm afraid.. :(

So anyway, the way justanswer works is great... In that we are a purely tech help /advice site... Meaning, anything at all you need to progress , I am more than happy to help you with to get your motor fixed. So as I mentioned above, do just ask if you need anything more by way of advice /direction etc.

I do have by way of looking up for you, a diagnostics garage near you that I'm sure, if even with my help you decide you need someone else to help physically, they will be able to. I will give you a link to them, that is

I hope that helps you further... Again, you are welcome to ask me for anything at anytime..

For now , I do just need you to please click on the OK ratings for me...and I thank you for that in advance.

Again, you are welcome to come back to me anytime...clicking the OK ratings does not close you out...

All the very best , MIKE.