Mike
Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

How to replace a 2004 Geep Cherokee door mirror

Category: Jeep
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome..

My name is XXXXX XXXXX Im happy to help you ..

Please can you clarify what you mean where you say " cant get it to fit "...

What is the problem you are having ?

Rgds, MIKE............................................
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Mike,

The mirror will not snap back into place. I can get one of the adjuster arms to latch on but the other three and the central boss don't seem to fit. nothing is broken or distorted.

regards.

Mike

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Mike,

The door mirror got a tap, and the mirror partially popped out, still hanging on by one adjusting claw. I can't get it to latch on to the other three claws, and the central boss. I have tried lubricating the the four adjusting claws ans the central boss - to no avail. There is no apparent to the adjusting claws, or the registers on the mirror back.

Regards.

Mike

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hi again..

Thank you for the messages - Im really sorry I was off at the time.

Ok with this Mike - have you taken the inside of the door portion out/ undone the mirror off the door to check?

Too - are fitting a new one?

Rgds, MIKE..................................
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Mike.

No I shouldn't need to take the whole assembly off the door. The glass mirror with its backing plate came adrift from the remote motorised adjuster arms, and won't snap back into place.

There is no apparent damage to the four arm ends, or the registers in the glass mirror back plate.

Mike

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello again Mike..

Thank you for your reply.. Im with you now - I was thinking it had caused damage to the mirror as a whole - and you were for replacing the whole thing..

Ok - what I will do is give you the exact replacement instructions for replacing the glass part - from the Jeep manual..

Read through carefully Mike, there just may be something in here that you can see is causing your problem... Obviously I cant be there / see it - so this is the best way forward - Here are the instructions for you :

INSTALLATION

CAUTION: It is important to make sure the motor is square to the glass holder (attaching fingers) prior to glass holder attachment, otherwise the glass holder could be installed incorrectly causing poor retention and possible repeat failure.

1. Position the new mirror glass holder to the mirror assembly.

NOTE: Position the mirror glass holder so that the moisture drain hole on the mirror glass holder assembly is facing downward.

2. Align the mirror glass holder's attaching fingers to the mirror motor housing.

NOTE: Ensure that the protective rubber cover of the mirror motor housing is positioned correctly around the bottom of the fingers area.

3. Using one hand, firmly press the mirror glass holder assembly into place while at the same time supporting the housing assembly from the backside with the other hand.

NOTE: Pressure must be applied equally over the center portion of the mirror to engage the mirror glass holder's attaching fingers to the corresponding fingers on the housing assembly. One or more clicks may be heard when finger engagement takes place.

4. Verify retention of the mirror glass holder assembly by gently pulling outward on the mirror glass holder.

...Now there really isn't much more on this Mike - If you find that following through on the above doesn't help - then Im wondering if when it got damaged, something / some part of it broke and went missing...or, a part of the mirror/ motor assembly has come adrift and is on the old mirror glass backing if you understand me - , that does happen - and so needs transferring back to the fitting - so that the new one will fit as it should -
Let me know how you get on Mike..

Let me know if you need anything else..

>>......Meantime ......Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me for my time etc - as that's how Im credited for helping you - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Rgds, MIKE.

Mike, Technician
Experience: Tech Expert
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi mike.

I have been trying this from the outset, but the glass backing plate just wouldn't register in the fingers. I will try again at the weekend, but using more force.

Mike

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello again Mike..

With this , I sympathise - but I can only give you the instructions for the job ..

It could just be that you are not using enough force- they do take some clipping in - just a a tip - be sure to "spread the force" across the glass.. otherwise the glass will crack.

If you are sure that there is nothing physically wrong or broken or missing, then it can only be as above..

If you are not happy to do it though for fear of breaking it - ask at the local dealer where you got the part - its a 20-30 sec job - they do it all the time and I doubt they would even charge you at all - it may be worth you doing that..

Let me know how you get on - Unless there is something you haven't told me, I dont think there is much more I can advise on this... one way or the other then as above should see this done for you.

... Per the way justanswer works Mike, I do just need you to click on the "OK ratings" for me at this point please as thats how Im credited for helping you / my time etc... and I Thank you for doing that for me now.

Nb - you can get back to me anytime you might need / wish on this -if I can help at all anymore, Im more than happy to do so.. clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Very best rgds, MIKE.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Mike,

Finally got it to latch into place. took two of us and a lot of force.

thanks.

mike

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
That's excellent news ...

Very pleased to have helped..

All the best , MIKE.