romee619, Mechanic
Experience:  Let my online troubleshooting skills speak for themselves!

1997 diesel Cherokee limited, very slow water loss , not

Customer Question

1997 diesel Cherokee limited, very slow water loss , not in oil,no sign of any leak anywhere,head casket changed made no difference, any idea
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome -

My name is MIKE - Im happy to help you...

I see you have changed the head gasket with no change to the original issue -

Can you please give me more / full details as to the issue - and all thats been done.. inc exactly what tests / checks etc have been carried out...

Too - how serious is the leak / issue - and is it overheating badly?

Rgds, MIKE.....................................
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

slow coolant loss,can only tell by looking at expansion bottle level ,can see no visible leaks anywhere,there is no coolant in the engine oil, does not boil over,if expansion bottle kept topped up,temp gauge stays in normal range, again if coolant topped up,otherwise very quickly boils over, can do short journey say up to 50 miles,runs fine and starts fine,head pressure tested and skimmed,new casket set fitted,has made no difference at all!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
no reply to questtion
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again David -

Please dont re list your question - this causes delays.

To explain - I responded to your question 4 hours after it was asked with the Info Request.

You then responded to me over 13 hours later with your reply - and then just 46 mins later, re listed your question.

Of course, this was all over night - Im not on line 24 / 7 Im afraid - just like anyone so a reply to your response is not unduly delayed.

Now re the issue in question - just to be absolutely sure, so that we dont miss anything here - I understand you have had the issue you had - and so had a new head gasket fitted - and the head was skimmed and pressure tested ( pronounced ok )...but you still have the issues you outline.

- Now - other than the above - exactly what other parts have been replaced - if any?
And too - have any other tests at all been carried out on the engine - while its built / in situ?

Too - do you ever see any white smoke / steam out the exhaust... and have you checked when the engine is warm / hot -to see if water / wet comes out the exhaust? Placing your hand to the exhaust outlet is a good test for that ....

Rgds - MIKE....................................
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

head pronounced ok, no new parts fitted,have not seen any white smoke or steam,but have not checked to see if water / wet is coming out of exhaust when engine is hot,no new tests have been carried out

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again David -

Thank you for your reply...

Ok - in view of the above - before we progress with specifics - can you please try that... get the engine warm to hot - rev it and see if there is any white smoke / steam...

Too - check with your hand - be careful not to burn.. to see if it spits water on to your hand at all... let me know the results of the above..

Best Rgds, MIKE........................................