Mike
Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

2003 2.8 jeep cherokee crd has fluctuating temp gauge

Category: Jeep
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

I apologize as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do
you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you
like for us to close your question at this time?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

After fitting a new censor on the engine block the problem still persists. The temperature gauge keeps rapidly moving into the red zone resulting in the alarm going off.It then it fluctuates rapidly up and down.

Hope this information helps you in diagnosing this problem.

Derek Cudd

Hello Derek,

Thank you for getting back to me and providing more information. We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello Derek and Welcome..

My name is XXXXX XXXXX Im happy to help you ..

Can you tell me - are there any signs of a true overheat situation? Have you checked the actual temp of the cooling system? Does the cooling fan come on etc as it should?

Rgds, MIKE..........................................
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear XXXXX,

There are no signs of overheat as sometimes you can drive for 30 miles or more before the problem shows. The cooling fan appears to function as it should although I have not checked the actual temperature of the cooling system.

Derek

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello there Derek -

My apologies for the delay in getting back to you - it fell badly on a weekend where I was off - Im sorry..

Ok - with the situation that you have - this model is known for faults that occur in the dash cluster itself Derek - causing the exact fault you describe.

So long as the wiring to the sensor on the engine is good and no problems there - ( and of course you say you have renewed the sensor too ) - then too, so long its genuinely not overheating ( and an actual temp reading can be done on the cooling system to confirm that ) then that is down to a fault with the cluster then.

Really , it can be largely ignored in that case - in that its not a genuine fault - but of course it does want fixing - as a genuine fault wouldn't be seen if its operating faulty as -is.

The answer to this is generally a replacement dash cluster Derek - but there are companies that specialise in the test / repair of these cluster units - coming out considerably cheaper than renewal. I will give you a number of a company that I know does these - there of course others should you decide to use - but the number if its helpful for you that I have is - 0 1 6 3 4 - 6 8 7 2 2 2 ... They are based in Kent area- but they operate a postal service - you send your cluster to them - they do the repair / send it back etc. Too - the advantage of this is two fold - its a considerable cost saving - also , you retain the original mileage in the cluster - and, there are no "coding / programming " costs - as would be be with a replacement..
So give them a call and they will talk you through it all inc costs etc.. and that will get this all sorted for you.

Let me know if you need anything else-

..>> >> . .Meantime..............Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me as that's how Im credited for helping you - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Rgds, MIKE

Mike, Technician
Experience: Tech Expert