Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

My head gasket has on a 2004 2.5 diesel Jeep Cherokee

Customer Question

My head gasket has blown on a 2004 2.5 diesel Jeep Cherokee Ltd. The oil has mixed with the water in the overflow tank and the mechanic says right throughout the whole cooling system and heater matrix. He wants £1300 + Vat for the repair is that about right and is it worth it?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..there sorry for the delay..

Hopefully i can help..

If the oil has gone right through the whole coolant system then in sorts it will take a heck of while to flush all that out using flushing agents into the system to help get all that out..these engine should have an oil cooler so you need to be 100% sure its not that instead of the headgasket..as the oil cooler is linked with the coolant system..however if the headgasket has been ruled over a faulty oil cooler etc..then it possible the costing would reach that quote..wither it worth repairing..its hard to say depends on what sort of mileage it has and its overall condition wise and what repairs you had to do to it already aswell as considering its age,could be time to get shot..where you could spend that 1300 on a better replacement vehicle..might be worth at least phoning around a few other garages in the area and see if that costing can be reduced a bit..I do hope this helps