Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert

I have a cherokee 2004 2.5 diesel and according to the temperature

I have a cherokee 2004 2.5 diesel and according to the temperature gauge it runs very hot when towing on an incline or indeed high speed or steep inclines even without towing. Water levels seem ok and coolant has been checked recently - any suggestions please
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome..

My name is XXXXX XXXXX Im happy to help / advise you on this -

First - what is the mileage on the vehicle?
Too - what is its general service / recent repair history?

Please also tell me what exactly you have checked / done so far in a bid to cure this...?

Kind Rgds, MIKE..................................
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

mileage 109000 recently serviced -system drained and refilled with coolant and small leak mended in rad

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again John -

Thank you for your reply and info -

For what you describe to be happening - basically the engine cooling system is not "coping" with the extra pressure put on it by the towing - the inclines etc..

This is often found to be down to a partially clogged / restricted main radiator... I note you have flushed it - and thats a good move...but often times, you think the rad is running free - ie, cold water is flowing through the other opening ok - but what you can't see of course , is that it can be running through only a few of the ribs - and if several are clogged , you just wouldn't know it - the only real answer to that is to have a replacement rad - new rad - or a re core done if you have a radiator repairer near you.

The only other things you can check John -is the thermostat - I wouldn't suggest checking it, its not reliable - just renew it... and see if that helps the situation.

Too - its important to have at least a 50-50 mix of antifreeze/ coolant to get a proper cooling... so bear that in mind.

As you will likely have thought - you have the water pump and the radiator fan left in the cooling system.. You can get the situation where the water pump is well worn - it copes in general use - but fails to cope under extra stress... the only way to check that John is to remove the thing and physically check the impeller and drive.

After that - there is the rad fan - of course you need to check that that is operating correctly as it should. If its slow to come on for example, that wouldn't help... Some people when they do a lot of towing, fit an extra fan - such as the Kenlowe electric fans... thats just a thought for you if that were/ is your situation.

So those are the things you need to consider / work through John - Its pretty much impossible to say it wil be this / or that .. I can only highlight the things that you need to be aware of / to check as above to get this sorted for you.

I would suggest to start with checking the fan is coming on as it should - and then the thermostat - and work froward from there as above... working through like that is the best / cheapest and most likely way to find the cause of your issue.

Let me know if you need anything else - If its not as above - I will need the exact fault code you are getting and the vehicles'' VIN.

.>> >> > ..Meantime..............Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me as that's how Im credited for helping you - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Rgds, MIKE.

Mike, Technician
Experience: Tech Expert