mike_a_mechanic
mike_a_mechanic, Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as a auto mechanic, foreign and domestic.5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

I have a 2001 Grand Cherokee Ltd TDA with 3.1 VM engine which

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Grand Cherokee Ltd TDA with 3.1 VM engine which is leaking oil it seems from the engine crank seal is this common and how long would it take to fix, the steering also makes a grinding sound when put on full lock, the bushes need to be replaced on the rear suspension the two ends of what looks like a wishbone, how easy to replace.
The brakes have failed, the fluid is ok it seems the master cylinder or servo may have failed the pedal was until recently when braking still travelling down slowly after braking then it just failed no brakes can you give me advice and are any of these common in this model
Category: Jeep
Expert:  mike_a_mechanic replied 3 years ago.
Hello, welcome. My name is Mike, I will do my very best to assist you with your question. I apologize if you have been waiting long for a response.

Yes the crank seal is very common to leak on these vehicles and takes about 4-5 hours to replace because of the labor involved.

The steering noise on these vehicles that you are hearings normally comes from the power steering pump internal shaft bearing which requires the pump to be replaced.

The rear suspension bushings are not that difficult and takes about an hour of labor.

The issue with the brakes is the master cylinder, this is very common on these vehicles, and the master cylinder would need to be replaced and the system bled.